Art and decor can be powerful tools to create a focal point in any space, drawing attention to a specific area and adding interest and depth to a room. Whether you're decorating a living room, dining room, or bedroom, using art and decor to create a focal point can help elevate your space from ordinary to extraordinary.
One way to create a focal point is to use a large piece of art. A bold, eye-catching painting or photograph can make a statement and instantly draw the eye. If you have a neutral colour scheme, a colourful painting can add a pop of colour and energy to the room. Conversely, if you have a bold colour scheme, a black-and-white photograph can provide a striking contrast.
Another way to create a focal point is to use a statement piece of furniture or decor. A unique piece of furniture, like a brightly coloured sofa or an ornate coffee table, can draw attention to a specific area and become the centrepiece of the room. Alternatively, a striking piece of decor, like a large sculpture or a statement vase, can also create a focal point.
In addition to using large pieces of art or decor, you can also create a focal point by grouping smaller pieces. A gallery wall of small paintings or photographs can create a cohesive, visually interesting display that draws the eye. You can also use shelves or a display case to group smaller decor items, like a collection of antique cameras or vintage glassware.
When using art and decor to create a focal point, it's important to consider the overall balance of the room. The focal point should complement the rest of the space, not overwhelm it. If you have a lot of other bold or busy elements in the room, you may want to opt for a more understated focal point. Conversely, if the rest of the room is fairly neutral, you can afford to be bold with your focal point.
Another consideration when using art and decor to create a focal point is the lighting. Proper lighting can make all the difference in highlighting your focal point and drawing attention to it. You can use a spotlight or a directional lamp to highlight a specific piece of art or decor, or you can use ambient lighting to create a warm, inviting glow in the room.
Ultimately, using art and decor to create a focal point is a great way to add interest and personality to your space. Whether you opt for a large piece of art, a statement piece of furniture, or a grouping of smaller decor items, a well-executed focal point can help make your room feel complete and polished. So go ahead and get creative – the possibilities are endless!
- "How to Create a Focal Point in Your Home Using Art and Decor" (Better Homes and Gardens Australia, June 2018) - This article provides tips and advice on using art and decor to create a focal point in your home, with specific examples and visuals.
- "10 Stylish Ways to Create a Focal Point in Your Home" (Real Living Australia, October 2019) - This article features 10 different ways to create a focal point in your home, including using large-scale art, statement lighting, and bold decor.
- "How to Create a Focal Point in Your Living Room" (The Interiors Addict, February 2020) - This blog post offers advice on creating a focal point in your living room, with a focus on using art and decor to achieve this.
- "Designing with Focal Points" (Australian House and Garden, July 2021) - This article discusses the importance of focal points in interior design, with examples of how to create them using art and decor.
- "Expert Tips for Creating a Focal Point in Any Room" (Home Beautiful Australia, November 2022) - This feature article includes advice from interior design experts on how to create a focal point in any room, including using art, decor, and furniture to achieve this.