Decorating your living space with art and decor that showcases the natural world is a popular trend in Australian interior design. Incorporating elements of nature, such as landscapes, seascapes, and wildlife can create a sense of tranquillity and connection to the outdoors within your home.
When it comes to decorating with nature-inspired art, landscapes and seascapes are popular choices. These pieces can bring a sense of calmness and serenity to a room, especially when they feature muted colours like blues, greens, and greys. Many Australian artists specialise in capturing the beauty of the Australian landscape, so consider supporting local artists when selecting your pieces.
Wildlife art is another great way to bring the natural world into your home. Whether it's a painting of a kangaroo or a sculpture of a native bird, wildlife art can add a touch of whimsy and personality to your space. Many Australian artists create stunning wildlife art, so you're sure to find a piece that speaks to you.
In addition to art, incorporating natural decor elements can also help bring the outdoors into your home. For example, wooden furniture or accessories can create a warm and rustic feel, while plants can add a fresh and natural touch to any space. If you're not blessed with a green thumb, opt for low-maintenance plants like succulents or air plants.
When it comes to selecting colours for your nature-inspired decor, earthy tones like browns, greens, and blues work well. These colours can create a soothing and calming atmosphere, and they complement natural materials like wood and stone.
When decorating with natural elements, it's important to strike a balance between bringing the outdoors in and keeping your space functional. Too much clutter or too many decor items can overwhelm a room, so it's important to choose your pieces wisely. Consider selecting a few key pieces that speak to you and incorporate them into your existing decor.
Overall, decorating with art and decor that incorporates the natural world is a great way to create a warm and inviting atmosphere in your home. From landscapes and seascapes to wildlife art and natural decor elements, there are endless ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into your living space. With a little creativity and an eye for design, you can create a space that feels like a peaceful retreat from the outside world.
- "The Australian Women's Weekly" magazine featured an article in 1963 about decorating with nature-inspired art and decor, suggesting the use of landscapes and seascapes to create a calming atmosphere in the home.
- In the 1980s, Australian artist Ken Done gained popularity for his bright and colourful paintings of Australian landscapes and wildlife, inspiring a new generation of nature-inspired decor.
- In the early 2000s, Australian interior designers began incorporating more natural materials like wood and stone into their designs, complementing nature-inspired art and decor pieces.
- In 2017, Australian home decor retailer Adairs released a collection of nature-inspired bedding and decor, featuring images of Australian flora and fauna.
- In 2021, Australian homewares brand Kip&Co released a collection of brightly coloured home accessories featuring native Australian wildlife, including koalas, kangaroos, and cockatoos, continuing the trend of incorporating the natural world into home decor.