Decorating with natural and earthy tones and materials has become an increasingly popular trend in interior design. These materials, such as clay, stone, and wood, bring a sense of warmth and grounding to a space. Incorporating art and decor that features these materials can create a cohesive and calming atmosphere in any room.
One way to incorporate natural materials into your decor is through the use of artwork. Paintings, photographs, and sculptures that feature natural landscapes or elements, such as trees or rocks, can bring a sense of serenity and tranquillity to a room. These pieces can be displayed on walls, shelves, or even as a centrepiece on a coffee table. Artwork made from natural materials, such as wooden sculptures or clay pottery, can also add texture and depth to a space.
In addition to artwork, natural materials can also be used in the decor itself. For example, incorporating wooden furniture, such as a coffee table or bookshelf, can add a rustic touch to a room. Stone accents, such as a fireplace or decorative rocks, can create a natural focal point in space. Clay pots or vases can be used to display plants or flowers, adding a pop of greenery to the decor.
When decorating with natural and earthy tones and materials, it's important to consider the overall colour scheme of the room. Neutral tones, such as beige, tan, or grey, can complement the natural materials and create a cohesive look. Bold pops of colour, such as deep greens or blues, can also work well as accent colours to add some interest and depth to the space.
Lighting is another important consideration when decorating with natural materials. Natural light is always ideal, as it can highlight the textures and colours of the decor. However, if natural light is not possible, warm-toned lighting can create a similar effect. Soft, warm lighting can create a cozy and inviting atmosphere in any room.
Incorporating natural and earthy tones and materials into your decor can create a relaxing and calming atmosphere in your home. By using artwork, furniture, and decor made from natural materials, you can add warmth and texture to any room. So, whether you're looking to create a cozy reading nook or a serene bedroom retreat, consider incorporating natural materials into your decor for a timeless and beautiful look.
- A 2014 article in The Australian Women's Weekly showcased a home decorated with natural materials such as wooden floors, stone accents, and clay pottery. The article highlighted the calming and grounding effect of these materials on the home's inhabitants.
- In 2017, popular Australian home decor brand Kmart released a range of affordable home decor items made from natural materials such as bamboo and jute. The range included rugs, cushions, and baskets in neutral tones, making it easy for people to incorporate natural materials into their decor.
- A 2019 article in Vogue Living Australia featured a Sydney home decorated with natural materials such as marble, timber, and stone. The article emphasized the timeless beauty and versatility of these materials in home decor.
- In 2020, Australian designer Lauren Li released a collection of furniture made from sustainable materials such as recycled timber and natural rattan. The collection included chairs, tables, and benches in earthy tones, making it easy for customers to bring a natural feel to their homes.
- In 2021, the Australian interior design firm Three Birds Renovations released a series of videos showcasing their use of natural materials in home makeovers. The videos featured projects where they incorporated materials such as terracotta tiles, timber feature walls, and stone accents to create warm and inviting spaces for their clients.