Decorating with art and decor that celebrates diversity and inclusivity is a wonderful way to create an inviting and welcoming space that promotes acceptance and understanding. This approach to decorating is particularly important in today's world, where inclusivity and diversity are increasingly recognized as essential values.
One way to decorate with diversity and inclusivity in mind is to incorporate art and decor that represents a variety of cultures and identities. This can include items such as colourful woven textiles, traditional pottery or ceramics, and artwork featuring diverse subjects and styles. By incorporating these pieces into your home, you can create a space that honours and celebrates the many different people and traditions that make up our world.
Another approach to decorating with diversity and inclusivity in mind is to incorporate items that promote social justice and equality. This can include pieces such as posters or prints featuring messages of love and acceptance, or objects that symbolize important social justice movements such as the rainbow flag, the black lives matter symbol, or the peace sign. These items serve as powerful reminders of the importance of inclusivity and equality and can help to create a space that is both beautiful and meaningful.
In addition to incorporating diverse art and decor into your space, it's also important to think about the messages you are sending with your choices. For example, consider the impact of displaying only art and decor featuring people who look like you or come from the same background as you. While this may be comfortable and familiar, it can also send a message of exclusion to those who are different from you. Instead, strive to create a space that is welcoming to all, regardless of their background or identity.
When selecting art and decor that celebrates diversity and inclusivity, it's also important to support artists and makers from diverse backgrounds. This can include seeking out pieces from artists of different races, cultures, and identities, as well as supporting businesses and organizations that prioritize diversity and inclusivity in their operations.
Ultimately, decorating with art and decor that celebrates diversity and inclusivity is a powerful way to create a space that reflects your values and promotes acceptance and understanding. By incorporating diverse pieces into your home and supporting artists and makers from a variety of backgrounds, you can create a space that is not only beautiful but also meaningful and impactful. So why not take a step towards creating a more inclusive and welcoming space by incorporating some diverse art and decor into your home today?
- In 2017, Australian artist Kaff-eine created a mural in Melbourne's inner-city suburb of Footscray featuring portraits of women from diverse backgrounds. The mural celebrates the diversity of the local community and serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of inclusivity and equality.
- In 2018, the National Gallery of Victoria hosted an exhibition titled "Triennial Voices", which featured works by 100 contemporary artists from around the world. The exhibition included a wide range of diverse works, including pieces that explored themes of identity, migration, and social justice.
- In 2019, Australian homewares retailer Adairs launched a range of bedding and accessories featuring artwork by Indigenous Australian artist, Gumbaynggirr woman, Leah Bartholomew. The range celebrates the rich cultural heritage of Indigenous Australians and showcases the unique beauty of their art.
- In 2020, Sydney-based interior designer Greg Natale launched a collection of handcrafted tiles featuring intricate geometric patterns inspired by the art and architecture of the Islamic world. The collection celebrates the diversity and beauty of Islamic art and serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of inclusivity and acceptance.
- In 2021, Australian artist Caroline Walls launched a series of limited-edition prints featuring abstracted female forms in a range of skin tones. The series celebrates the diversity of the female body and encourages viewers to embrace and celebrate their unique beauty.