Decorating with art and decor from different eras and periods is a great way to add interest, depth and personality to any living space. Combining pieces from different eras can create a unique aesthetic that showcases your style and personality. In this article, we will explore the benefits of decorating with art and decor from different eras and periods and provide some tips on how to achieve this style successfully.
One of the main advantages of decorating with art and decor from different eras and periods is that it can add depth and complexity to a living space. Mixing different styles can create a layered effect, where each piece adds a new dimension to the overall aesthetic. For example, an antique French mirror paired with a contemporary abstract painting can create a beautiful and intriguing contrast that draws the eye.
Another benefit of decorating with art and decor from different eras is that it allows you to showcase your personality and interests. For example, if you love mid-century modern design, you can incorporate vintage furniture and accessories from that era into your living space. Alternatively, if you are a fan of Victorian design, you can add ornate pieces, such as chandeliers, candelabras, and picture frames, to create a grand and elegant look.
When combining pieces from different eras and periods, it is essential to create a cohesive aesthetic. One way to achieve this is by using a consistent colour palette throughout the space. For example, if you are combining pieces from different eras and time periods in a living room, you might choose a neutral colour scheme, such as white, beige, and grey, to create a sense of harmony and balance.
Another way to create a cohesive aesthetic is by using similar textures and materials throughout the space. For example, if you have a collection of antique brass candlesticks, you might pair them with a vintage brass lamp to create a unified look.
When it comes to selecting art and decor from different eras and periods, it is essential to consider scale and proportion. Mixing pieces of different sizes and scales can create a visually confusing and cluttered space. Therefore, it is crucial to choose pieces that are proportional to each other and the size of the room. For example, a large antique oil painting might look out of place in a small bedroom, but it could be a beautiful focal point in a grand living room.
In conclusion, decorating with art and decor from different eras and periods is a great way to add interest, depth, and personality to any living space. By mixing different styles, you can create a unique and layered aesthetic that showcases your style and interests. When combining pieces from different eras and periods, it is essential to create a cohesive aesthetic by using a consistent colour palette, similar textures and materials, and by considering scale and proportion. By following these tips, you can create a beautiful and unique living space that reflects your personality and style.
- "Mixing Styles: Decorating with Art and Decor from Different Eras" by Houzz Australia, published in August 2016, explores how to successfully combine vintage, modern and traditional styles in home decor.
- In August 2017, the Australian home decor magazine Inside Out featured an article called "Time Traveler", which showcases a Melbourne home that seamlessly blends mid-century modern, art deco and contemporary design elements.
- The Australian interior designer Anna Spiro is known for her eclectic style, which often incorporates vintage and antique pieces alongside contemporary elements. Her book "Absolutely Beautiful Things" (published in October 2017) features many examples of how to mix styles and eras in home decor.
- In September 2019, Vogue Living Australia published an article called "Time Warp", which explores the trend of combining historical and contemporary design in home decor. The article features examples from around the world, including an apartment in Paris that mixes 18th-century antiques with modern art.
- More recently, in March 2021, the Australian home decor website The Interiors Addict published an article called "Timeless Style: How to Mix and Match Different Decor Eras". The article offers tips and advice for creating a cohesive look when combining pieces from different eras and periods in home decor.